Chart of the Week
A federal judge in California has ruled that conceptual artist Ryder Ripps and his business partner Jeremy Cahen must pay over US$1.5 million in damages to Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC) creator Yuga Labs. Ripps and Cahen are the duo behind the RR/BAYC NFT collection, which featured primates in similar poses as the Bored Apes. It also used marketing material similar to BAYC.
The judge determined that Ripps and Cahen’s copies of the Bored Ape NFTs, which they claimed were appropriation art criticising Yuga Labs’s works, infringed on Yuga Labs’s intellectual property rights. The defendants were ordered to pay all of their profits from the copies to Yuga Labs, and transfer their NFT smart contract and project-related websites and social media accounts to the company.
New Project Spotlight
[LIVE] LIFE OF HEL
‘LIFE OF HEL’ represents the establishment of a new IP monetisation platform set to elevate the LOH saga as the next global-scale manga and anime series. The LOH manga series consists of seven volumes, which will be physically published by Kadokawa Gempak Starz (Q4-23). An animated series is also in the pipeline for release on OTT streaming platforms. The first PFP drop of the LOH series is ‘LIFE OF HEL – Reapers‘.
‘Planet IX Corporation Packs’ can be burned in the player’s in-game inventory. Burning these packs will then unlock Avatars from the Corporation Genesis Collection, consisting of characters representing various corporations in the Planet IX universe. These Avatars will have different utilities in the game, and their full story can only be obtained through the in-game inventory. Collecting multiple characters will allow players to uncover mysteries within the Planet IX universe. The Avatars are AI-analysed and stored as NFTs on the blockchain.
|Platform||Collection||7D Sales Volume (USD)||Floor Price|
|OpenSea||Bored Ape Yacht Club||$24,303,065 (+52%)||$48,924|
|OpenSea||Mutant Ape Yacht Club||$9,948,831 (+78%)||$9,317|
|Crypto.com||Loaded Lions||$53,515 (+6%)||$930|
|Crypto.com||LIFE OF HEL – Reapers||$42,985 (-)||$35|
|Minted||Cronos Cruisers||$11,110 (+2,052%)||$493|
|Minted||VVS Miner Mole||$7,456 (+58%)||$132|
Sources: OpenSea, Minted, Crypto.com Research
Blockchain Game Metrics
The following table shows selected top games by weekly volume in USD:
|Game||Blockchain(s)||7D Volume (USD)||7D UAW|
|Loaded Lions: Mane City||Cronos||$21,523 (-29%)||3,166 (+7%)|
|Treasure DAO||Ethereum, Arbitrum||$6,108,455 (+88%)||1,532 (+12%)|
|Axie Infinity||Ethereum, Ronin||$5,725,617 (+94%)||32,419 (+12%)|
|Gods Unchained||Ethereum, Immutable X||$5,077,881 (+15%)||4,840 (+28%)|
|Galactic Arena||BNB Chain||$1,246,484 (+1,216%)||22 (-4%)|
|HYTOPIA||Ethereum, Polygon||$1,072,369 (+419%)||308 (+12%)|
Sources: Crypto.com Research, DappRadar
Gaming Token Performance
The total market cap for gaming tokens now stands at US$9.74 billion, surging by +20.2% from last week.
- Decentraland introduced personalised metaverse identities called Decentraland NAME, allowing users to claim unique names, access virtual spaces, and participate in platform governance.
- Memeland, a Web3 project built by 9GAG’s team, launched its MEME coin with a successful Fire Sale, selling out in 40 minutes and making $10 million in the first hour. The token has a total supply of 69 billion MEME and will be gradually unlocked over 18 months. Allowlist allocations are based on NFT holdings, and crews receive additional benefits. MEME is described as a meme coin with no promises or financial return.
- Async Art, a creator platform known for its pioneering role in the Web3 community, has announced its forthcoming closure. The platform allowed artists to create dynamic, multi-layered digital art that could change over time. However, the NFT space has evolved, leading to operational challenges and a shift in industry motivations. Existing Async NFTs will continue to exist on-chain, but the marketplace will stop supporting purchases by the end of 2023.
- ApeCoinDAO‘s Ape Improvement Proposal 337, which aimed to halve the monthly compensation of special council members, was rejected in a close vote. The justification for the proposal was to reduce the DAO’s monthly financial outlay and increase overall participation. The proposal arose amid criticism of the Special Council due to a drop in ApeCoin’s price and a controversial funding authorisation in July. Community members expressed different opinions, with some advocating for targeted incentives and performance bonuses instead of blanket salary cuts.
Recent Research Reports
|Research Roundup Newsletter [September 2023]||Ethereum: Dencun Upgrade and Proto-Danksharding||Alpha Navigator: Quest for Alpha [September 2023]|
- Research Roundup Newsletter [September 2023]: We present to you our latest issue of Research Roundup, featuring trending market insights in September, charts of the month, and our insights on the Ethereum Dencun upgrade.
- Ethereum: Dencun Upgrade and Proto-Danksharding: Ethereum’s next major upgrade is Dencun, which introduces Proto-Danksharding. We explore what it is and its benefits.
- Alpha Navigator: Quest for Alpha [September 2023]: Risk assets end 3Q 2023 mostly down on a QoQ basis, but YTD paints a more positive picture. Inflation retreats. The US avoids a government shutdown.
Recent University Articles
- What Is Stellar’s Lumen Token (XLM)?: Founded in 2014, Stellar aims to seamlessly connect banks, payment systems, and users with its decentralised blockchain network for quick, low-cost, and cross-border transactions.
- What Is Chainlink (LINK)?: Learn how Chainlink, a decentralised oracle network, bridges the gap between smart contracts and real-world data.
- What Is Shiba Inu (SHIB)?: Hailed as the ‘Dogecoin killer’ by some, here’s all there is to know about the canine-inspired meme coin Shiba Inu.
We’re all ears.
Your feedback helps make our reporting more insightful. Tell us how we can improve this newsletter by taking the survey below. It will take less than a minute of your time. Thank you!
Research and Insights Team
The information in this report is provided as general market commentary by Crypto.com and its affiliates, and does not constitute any financial, investment, legal, tax, or any other advice. This report is not intended to offer or recommend any access to products and/or services. While we endeavour to publish and maintain accurate information, we do not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information in this report nor do we adopt nor endorse, nor are we responsible for, the accuracy or reliability of any information submitted by other parties.
This report is not directed or intended for distribution to, or use by, any person or entity who is a citizen or resident of, or located in a jurisdiction, where such distribution or use would be contrary to applicable law or that would subject Crypto.com and/or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement.
The brands and the logos appearing in this report are registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Nothing in this report is intended to suggest that NFTs are investment products, nor securities, nor anything similar or “financial” of any description. NFTs are to be reserved for fun only and NOT with any expectation of “value”, “profit”, “yield” or “investment”. You are also aware that NFTs are not a store of value, are not a generally accepted medium of exchange, and are considered very illiquid and volatile.