Weekly DeFi Index
This week’s market cap and volume indices were positive at +16.94% and +83.54%, respectively, while volatility index was negative at -8.20%.
- Frax Finance (FXS) is benefiting from the ramp-up of liquid staking and stablecoin narratives recently: FXS’s liquid staking derivative frxETH and its stablecoin FRAX have been on the spotlight lately for their use cases.
New Project Spotlight
- Cronos released its v1.0 Galileo upgrade on 18 January. The mainnet upgrade features greater EVM and Cosmos interoperability (IBC incentivisation and IBC token transfer memo field), along with other performance enhancements and bug fixes. These include a generalised reduction of node startup time, mempool prioritisation for transactions per second (TPS) scaling, and optimised storage for full nodes.
- Four months after the success of The Merge, staked ETH has achieved new milestones, having reached 16 million ETH deposited into the Beacon Chain staking contract and hitting 500,000 validators on its network. This is amid Ethereum’s latest ‘devnet 2’ release to help test and prepare for the upcoming Shanghai upgrade in March.
- Polygon was upgraded on 17 January. Its mainnet “V0.3.1 hard fork” was meant to improve the network by reducing gas spikes and addressing chain reorganisations. It was also reported that Polygon began to test its zero-knowledge rollups ahead of a full integration with its mainnet.
- The development team behind Shiba Inu announced a new beta release for its layer-2 network Shibarium, which will run on top of the Ethereum mainnet.
- Solana acknowledged that their email service provider Mailchimp was breached on 12 January. The security incident involved an unauthorised actor who ‘accessed and exported certain user data’, exposing its users’ personal data such as email addresses, Telegram users, users’ names, and more. However, passwords and credit card information were unaffected, as confirmed by Mailchimp.
Recent Research Reports
|Alpha Navigator: Quest for Alpha [December 2022]: The new year sees crypto outperforming equities and gold. BTC options implied volatilities are subdued while perpetual futures funding rates are positive.||2022 Year Review & 2023 Year Ahead: 2022 has been a rollercoaster ride for the crypto industry. In this report, we curate the top ten crypto events and trends of 2022, followed by our outlook for 2023.||Decentralised Social Networks: An Overview: Decentralised social networks aim to enable participants to take back ownership of and better monetise their content and data. We explore the project landscape.|
|Alpha Navigator: Quest for Alpha [December 2022]: The new year sees crypto outperforming equities and gold. BTC options implied volatilities are subdued while perpetual futures funding rates are positive.|
|2022 Year Review & 2023 Year Ahead: 2022 has been a rollercoaster ride for the crypto industry. In this report, we curate the top ten crypto events and trends of 2022, followed by our outlook for 2023.|
|Decentralised Social Networks: An Overview: Decentralised social networks aim to enable participants to take back ownership of and better monetise their content and data. We explore the project landscape.|
We’re all ears.
Your feedback has always helped us provide insightful crypto market trends. Tell us how we can improve this newsletter further by taking a quick survey below (it will only take less than a minute). Thank you!
The information in this report is provided as general market commentary by Crypto.com and its affiliates, and does not constitute any financial, investment, legal, tax, or any other advice. This report is not intended to offer or recommend any access to products and/or services. While we endeavour to publish and maintain accurate information, we do not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information in this report nor do we adopt nor endorse, nor are we responsible for, the accuracy or reliability of any information submitted by other parties.
This report is not directed or intended for distribution to, or use by, any person or entity who is a citizen or resident of, or located in a jurisdiction, where such distribution or use would be contrary to applicable law or that would subject Crypto.com and/or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement.
The brands and the logos appearing in this report are registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Research and Insights Team
Get fresh market updates delivered straight to your inbox:
Be the first to hear about new insights: