Weekly Market Index
Last week’s crypto market prices rose slightly by +3.43%. Volume and volatility decreased by -3.13% and -19.98%, respectively.
Chart of the Week
Solana’s (SOL) total value locked (TVL) has risen to a new 2023 high of US$335.73 million. This comes after the court-approved liquidation of the FTX estate, which contains US$1.16 billion SOL in its crypto holdings.
Selected key categories were all up in terms of market cap in the past seven days.
- Crypto.com announced it has teamed up with PayPal and Paxos to establish Crypto.com as a preferred PayPal USD (PYUSD) exchange. Crypto.com has already listed PYUSD on its platform for both retail and institutional users, providing deep liquidity for PYUSD trading pairs globally.
- Multiple Ethereum futures based exchange-traded funds (ETF) have gone live, including those from ProShares, VanEck, and Bitwise. These are the first ETFs ever to launch that are based on Ethereum futures. Meanwhile, Grayscale and Invesco have applied for spot Ethereum ETFs.
- Ethereum developers successfully launched a new test network called Holesky after an initial failed attempt. Holesky is now Ethereum’s largest testnet by validator count, with 1.4 million validators. It aims to enhance testing capabilities for the blockchain’s ecosystem.
- UBS Asset Management launched the controlled pilot of a tokenised money market fund through the company’s in-house tokenisation service called UBS Tokenise. Using a smart contract on Ethereum, the firm carried out various activities, including redemptions and fund subscriptions.
- The Bank for International Settlements (BIS) and the central banks of France, Singapore, and Switzerland announced the successful completion of a new CBDC initiative called Project Mariana. This project tested cross-border trading and settlement of wholesale central bank digital currencies between financial institutions.
- Microstrategy, the world’s largest corporate holder of Bitcoin, buys another US$147 million of the cryptocurrency. This brings their total Bitcoin holdings to about 158,245 BTC, with an average purchase price of $29,582 per Bitcoin.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina’s capital city, has introduced a blockchain-powered digital identification system, which utilises zkSync Era’s rollup technology.
Recent Research Reports
|Research Roundup Newsletter [August 2023]||Alpha Navigator: Quest for Alpha [August 2023]||Decentralised Stablecoins|
- Research Roundup Newsletter [August 2023]: We present to you our latest issue of Research Roundup, featuring trending market insights in August, charts of the month, and our latest research on decentralised stablecoins.
- Alpha Navigator: Quest for Alpha [August 2023]: Asset classes dipped in August; BTC and ETH underperformed. No surprises from the central bankers summit at Jackson Hole. China intensifies economic stimulus.
- Decentralised Stablecoins: Stablecoins are well positioned to facilitate broader adoption of cryptocurrencies. We explore the key decentralised stablecoin projects and their innovative mechanisms.
Recent University Articles
|Recruitment Scams – How to Know if a Job Offer Is Fake||What Is Cryptojacking and How to Recognise It||What is Ethereum’s EIP-4844 Update?|
- Recruitment Scams – How to Know if a Job Offer Is Fake: Received a job offer out of the blue that sounds too good to be true? It might be a recruitment scam. In this article, learn all about fake job offers in the crypto space and how to recognise them.
- What Is Cryptojacking and How to Recognise It: Follow these essential steps to minimise the risk of falling victim to the silent threat of cryptojacking.
- What is Ethereum’s EIP-4844 Update? How Proto-Danksharding Can Reduce Gas Fees: Learn about Ethereum’s Cancun-Deneb upgrade, a major protocol update to reduce gas fees and enhance scalability through Proto-Danksharding.
Research and Insights Team
The information in this report is provided as general market commentary by Crypto.com and its affiliates, and does not constitute any financial, investment, legal, tax, or any other advice. This report is not intended to offer or recommend any access to products and/or services. While we endeavour to publish and maintain accurate information, we do not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information in this report nor do we adopt nor endorse, nor are we responsible for, the accuracy or reliability of any information submitted by other parties.
This report is not directed or intended for distribution to, or use by, any person or entity who is a citizen or resident of, or located in a jurisdiction, where such distribution or use would be contrary to applicable law or that would subject Crypto.com and/or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement.
The brands and the logos appearing in this report are registered trademarks of their respective owners.